Friday, July 29, 2011

Blog Virgin Dives In


Originally posted February 9th, 2007 on My Space

So I kept thinking "I should do a blog." I have never done one. I get it, why it is important, the blog, and why it can suck, but it is the same as television, right? Or as the computer or the internet, cell phones, same deal.

Technology is a set of tools, and they can be used to make cool shit, or utter crap, or to do evil, heinous shit. I am sure someone has committed murder with a toothbrush somewhere. But..Damn I am glad we have toothbrushes. Trust me, so are you. A shout out for toilet paper while we are at it. Or toilets! I digress, already, 2 paragraphs into my first blog. Damn.

Anyhow...I have also thought that I should write down my experiences of playing in punk rock bands in Idaho in th 80's, and later in pop punk bands in Seattle, right before and during the time the music scene there blew up. At the time, bands there sounded like 70's rock (but also somehow like music does under the influence; warbled, in your face but far away). It was quite a ride, for 20 years, all told.

I just realized this whole blog idea was sparked by a guy who sent me a message via My Space about State of Confusion, the Boise, Idaho hardcore band I played bass in during the 80's. He had done a search on the band and found me here. He searched because he met Pushead (guru of the Boise scene in the early 80's) where he was raised, in Tokyo, and he now lives on a farm in the south of the US with his wife and kids and a bunch of animals.

Not sure how much you can really get a sense of a person through this odd world of My Space, and a couple emails, but he seems like a straight up dude. And seeing 'Mystic Records' as one of his friends well, memories flooded.

The idea of writing up a history of the Boise and Seattle scenes appealed to me, initially. But I soon realized I would have to tell stories about friends, both ones I have still and those who time has folded away, stories that were not always flattering. I really wouldn't want to do that, because it dishonors them. And, it just isn't cool.

I guess that is the part of the blog thing I do not like. I do not like going to some friend's blog and reading about how and why their boyfriend pissed them off (which is why I am selective about choosing blogs to read) I don't get the appeal of airing your shit on the world wide fuckin web. More importantly, OTHER people's shit. It is pretty low rent. Sorry, it is. So that was that.

But, I decided to use the blog to describe the scene as it was to me. I can do that, and tell stories, and keep any unnecessary personal details vague. I like to share good stories. So I will.

For now, since I have rambled on (as I am want to do) I will end here.

Stay tuned for more.

Crap. I am really doing this blog thing now, aren't I? Damn.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment